Somebody Else

stand awkwardly by the door, your gaze rests upon me and I’m unsure

If the look in your eyes is interest or simply good manners


I work up the nerve to make small talk, your electric and we like the same songs

And all of the time I want to take your hand in mine, but I cant


But if I was someone else


I’d ask to see you again

Be coy and twirl my hair in my fingers

Casually brush my hand against your arm and return your effortless charm 

And if I was someone else I would never feel the doubt creep in, I’d be sure of myself, no need to pretend


He makes me laugh, and says my eyes are beautiful


Flirting is breathing for you


And I know that he is the kind of guy that can make even the most wilted flowers bloom, 

but the distance between who I am and what he wants is clear 

If only I was someone else 


I’d ask to see you again

Be coy and twirl my hair in my fingers

Casually brush my hand against your arm and return your effortless charm 

And if I was someone else I would never feel the doubt creep in, I’d sure of myself, no need to pretend


When the parties all done, we part with a hug and a resounding “this was fun” 


I watch you disappear into the night, I think back to the fact I saw our whole life, but in it I was someone else


Seedlings forgotten and rotten, fruits never planted and a life taken for granted. 


The someone no one wants to be. But if you believe in second chances I’ll see you again and maybe this time I can be, someone else 


I’d ask to see you again

Be coy and twirl my hair in my fingers

Casually brush my hand against your arm and return your effortless charm 

And if I was someone else I would never feel the doubt creep in, I’d be sure of myself, no need to pretend

Comments

Popular Posts